Sunday 31 May 2015

The Summerhouse

I am not actually sure what to call this little room that joins onto our home. It was built with the property in the 1960's and I guess you could say it was an early type of conservatory made from wood. It reminds me of the summer houses you can get for the garden so that's what I'm calling it!

Words can not describe it!!

Basically it has 3 sides and a roof and was built over the kitchen window and back door. When we first moved in, the walls were damp, roof leaking and the carpet was filthy, thread bare and musty. 

Whilst my husband carried out other jobs, this room became my project and I decided to paint the walls white to make it lighter. I spent ages painting it, ripped up the carpet and put a tile effect floor down. The finished result? Hmmm. It looked nice for about a day! The damp was causing mould to grow. I was horrified. The glass windows were soaking wet every day. I was using my karcher window vac every half an hour! 

The damp was horrifying!

So, I spent many hours on the internet trying to find a solution. I read that vents could be installed to help with condensation and that the walls could be insulated and then covered with plaster board. 

So after much research, my husband re felted the roof and I sprayed dettol onto the wooden walls. Once it had dried out and the mould had disappeared before my eyes I began to paint it cream. I used Cuprinol garden shades in Country Cream. I used this paint on the wooden garden benches last year in the shade Willow and it's fantastic. Lovely to paint with and looks like it was painted yesterday. It's weatherproof for 4 years. I painted the outside of the building in Willow.

Already starting to look much better!

Once the walls were painted cream, I bought voiles in Ivory for the windows and made a window seat using two wooden blanket boxes. I thought that they would be useful for storing wellies in. I added seat pads and cushions to complete the look.

The voiles help to create a softened look and the wooden boxes that make the window seat are useful for storage

Finally, I found an off cut of a wooden effect floor which has finished it off lovely. I solved the wet window problem by using a dehumidifier! It's amazing how much water it collects over night. I love this little room now. It's so bright and clean and such a transformation!

Cushions, baskets and vases help to create a country feel

New wooden effect floor to complete the look
 
 Storage boxes make an ideal window seat 

I really can not get over the transformation! I love sitting on the window seat with a cup of tea looking out into the garden. When the weather is nice and warm I can have the doors wide open but it is also lovely to hear the sound of the rain beating down on the roof. Especially now as since the roof has been refelted it is actually waterproof! 

4 comments:

  1. Here in the US we would call it a 3 season room. We have one off our kitchen. It took me ages before I decided to refurbish it as a sitting room. Even after waterproofing, new carpet and paint we never used it. When I had company in my guest room I would move my sewing things in there so I could still sew early in the morning before anyone else awoke. Somewhere along the line I got the idea to permanently move my sewing and craft things to that room. I had to make it a 4 season room though so I could use it in the winter, too! Best thing ever! Dedicated room just for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love my own sewing room! It will be interesting to see how the room copes during the winter months. It is so lovely to use it as a room now, rather than close the kitchen door on it and pretend it was not there!

      Delete
  2. What a space! I wish I had a place like this in my garden. It's had quite the transformation. well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm ever so pleased with it now. It's been a beautiful day here so it was even more lovely to throw the doors wide open and enjoy the space.

      Delete