Saturday 9 May 2015

A Kitchen at Last!

Gosh, the kitchen! Where do I begin? when we first saw the kitchen my heart sank. I love cooking and spending time in the kitchen. I dreamt of having pretty cupboards in cream, with wooden work tops, a Belfast sink, wooden floors and most importantly a dishwasher!

Well, the kitchen was anything but my dream one! The property was built in the 1960's and still had the original laminated wooden effect paneling on the walls. Not in very good condition either I'm afraid. The cupboards were hanging off the wall so I was too afraid to put anything in them! The sink was tiny and in a separate unit with sliding doors underneath and a leek meant the bottom of the cupboard was rotten and smelt musty and mouldy. Still the room had potential and we were on a mission to find my dream kitchen.


The before picture, taken the day my new mini range oven arrived

We met with the designer at our home and I told him in great detail exactly what I wanted. I learnt that the existing units were not modern day standard measurements so everything needed ripping out and starting from scratch. I was more than happy to hear this! 

We chose cream units and cupboards with wooden effect worktops and reluctantly I decided against my Belfast sink. Due to a medical condition I have a tendency to drop things and the last thing I wanted was to put a huge crack or chip in a ceramic sink! My dishwasher had to be sacrificed too as there just wasn't room and I had to agree that a washing machine was more practical. One day I will have the washing machine in the garage and a dishwasher installed in the kitchen! 

Work was carried out 4 weeks later and took 3 days. My husband did the tiling himself to save money and despite never doing this before he did an amazing job. I went for cream tiles to match the kitchen. I chose a mini range oven in cream and I love using it. I wanted an aga but there wasn't room.

The kitchen afterwards, Looks much brighter!





I was ecstatic with the finished result and I still love it now much to the relief of my husband! 

7 comments:

  1. I love what you've done with the kitchen!! It's nice, bright and clean. I'm sure you've added great value to your home. Can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love making my little home cosy and snug

      Delete
  2. Your kitchen looks fab! really like your coffee pod container - where is it from please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen looks fab! really like your coffee pod container - where is it from please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen looks fab! really like your coffee pod container - where is it from please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My coffee pod container was from www,dolce-gusto.co.uk

      Delete