Tuesday 9 June 2015

Jamaica Inn, Cornwall

My husband surprised me with a night away at Jamaica Inn, Cornwall. We love to visit Cornwall and every time we travel to this beautiful English county we always stop for a break on the A30 at Jamaica Inn.
Jamaica Inn, Cornwall

I was thirteen years old when I first saw Jamaica Inn. I could not wait to get my hands on a copy of the novel by Daphne De Maurier. Rebecca became a firm favourite too! My husband will tell you I get so excited when I see Jamaica Inn in the distance from the A30. I love looking around the little gift shop and wondering if I'll see any ghosts that are supposed to haunt the inn. The building has so much history attached to it. It's not hard to imagine the ghosts of smugglers roaming around the place.

So much history at Jamaica Inn

Dogs are welcome at Jamaica Inn. They have 2 dog friendly rooms and even provide a basket and bowl. As our night away included breakfast I was a bit concerned that dogs were not allowed in the restaurant but I need not have worried as they have a special area for our canine friends.


We crossed the Tamar Bridge into Cornwall and arrived at Jamaica Inn early evening. We were made to feel very welcome and were shown to our room. To be honest I was expecting something cold, dark and gloomy looking with plenty of corners for ghosts to lay in waiting! I was very surprised to see a lovely bright room and exceptionally clean too!

Our room was lovely

We were hungry after our journey, so we made our way to the restaurant. I had a lovely salad, whilst my husband enjoyed the steak!




I did not see any ghosts or experience anything ghostly. I was listening out for noises but only could hear the soft patter of the rain falling outside. I am not sure whether to be disappointed or not! Our room was situated in the newer part of the building and from a little research the haunted rooms are located in the older part. I do not think I am brave enough to stay in one of these rooms!

Named after the character Joss in the novel Jamaica Inn
The following morning we woke up to the Inn being surrounded by fog. I loved it! To me, that is what Jamaica Inn is about, being surrounded by the moors of Bodmin and covered in a blanket of mist and fog. In the daylight that is! I may not have experienced any ghostly sightings myself but that does not mean to say that they are not there!



Breakfast was lovely and such a lot of choice. We could take our time too and enjoyed a pot of tea. I had a pot of peppermint tea. No visit to Jamaica Inn is ever complete with out a visit to the gift shop. My husband bought me a beautiful hard back copy of the novel Jamaica Inn. It is something I shall treasure for years to come.

In the restaurant you can have your picture taken with Mary Yellan 

We would love to return for another night's stay. My husband would like to stay in one of the older rooms but I think I would be happier in one of the newer ones!






No comments:

Post a Comment